I have been on the search for a good (and easy) roast chicken recipe. I narrowed down my choice to Cook’s Illustrated Weeknight Roast Chicken and Add A Pinch Skillet Roasted Chicken. I ended up incorporating bits of both using a 5 lb organic free-range roasting chicken from Trader Joe’s and the result was absolutely moist, tender, and delicious!
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 3-1/2 to 4 lb roasting chicken, giblets discarded
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Place 12-inch cast iron skillet (or any oven-safe skillet) on rack and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine salt and pepper in bowl. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Rub entire surface with oil. Sprinkle evenly all over with salt mixture. Rub in mixture to coat evenly.
- Transfer chicken, to preheated skillet in oven. Roast chicken for 30 minutes. Turn off oven and leave chicken in oven for another 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken in skillet from oven and cool in pan for another 30 minutes. Debone chicken and place chicken with all juices from pan into a casserole dish. Cover and keep warm in oven at 160 degrees until ready to serve.